Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wanting to talk?

Sometimes I love talking with people. Other times, I just don't feel the drive to. I'm trying to figure out why - slowly.

One thing I discovered today is that I find myself inclined talk after giving my face a good stretch. And I mean my entire face. Once I stretch my jaws muscles, my cheek muscles, eye muscles... basically every muscle on my face (which probably results in an incredibly goofy face) I just feel really outgoing. On the contrary, if my facial muscles have been rusting all day, I just don't feel like moving my mouth, and generally try to stay away from long talks. Like today. Friend of mine experienced many long periods of silence on the bus today after class when I'm normally on the chatty side - might've been awkward for her o.O

This reminds me of a study I read about stating that not only do our emotions affect our facial expressions, but also our facial expressions affect our emotions. From what I recall, the study was done by showing people funny cartoons, one group with a pencil between their teeth to that they're stretching their smiling muscles, and the other group with something on their mouths that somewhat forced frowning. The smiling people found the cartoon significantly funnier than their sad-face counterparts. Hmm, food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. don't forget the labeling effect thing where you rely too much on named effects and therefore do more of a certain behaviour because you think it's justified by this certain effect
    how meta!

    ReplyDelete