Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

class Hello World {

So today, my dad sat my ass down for an hour to get me in the mindset for programming. He decided to have me go for Java.

It was interesting in that he started off by having me open up windows' command prompt and making me navigate through a billion folders while talking about how in the old days, such prompts were used for basic programming.

Long story, short, I finished off thinking 'what did I just do?' I made the command prompt display the words 'Hello World.', but I still have very little idea of what all the semicolons and squiggly brackets are doing there. From a noob's perspective, the syntax for Java seems a lot more convoluted than that of Python.

I also got in contact with two course advisors on the subject of me taking CPSC for this upcoming summer term. And the general consensus I've been getting is: hold off on it dude, it won't really help you out on the long run. Which is true. In the case that I do take 121 in the summer, I'll likely have to drop Eng 110 (I don't think I can handle both), and in September I would take 110 and English before being able to move onto other CPSC courses. In the case that I don't take it in the summer, I would have gotten the lousy English course out of the way and I would squeeze in with 110 and 121. Either way, I wouldn't be able to start 210 or other courses until the 2nd semester.

So plan: self learn (and learn from dad) a shitton of programming basics/skills over this entire summer. While writing essays or whatever for English. And painting for that extra $. When the time comes this winter session, I will be able to handle some of the new content they throw at my face;

}

1 comment: