Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

that time of year again

December is looming, and if it isn't obvious enough with all the holiday ads showing up, Christmas will be here any minute now.

The winter holidays are the best since everybody who left for out-of-province universities will be back. My high school buddies will be sitting around having conversations as if we are still in high school. It's the cool thing about guy friends - there's always an assumption of friendship. It doesn't matter what happens, whether we split up for months or even years on end - when everybody gets together everything continues exactly the way it was left off.

Which of course, means Christmas gifts. Gosh. I remember thinking last year that I wish I could have fewer friends just for the winter so I don't have to spend so much. But now that I think about it, there's really no need to cheap out (too much) on gifts. Is there a huge difference between spending $200 total and $250 on all my gifts? No. Will it affect my life and my living conditions? Most definitely not.

My philosophy is that spending money should be strongly moderated on things that you do frequently. Do you tend to eat out a lot? Moderate that shit. Stop eating at fancy restaurants so often. On the other hand, for one-time events, you shouldn't feel so restricted. In the grand scheme of things, you spend the most money on frequent small things rather than the big things. Damn at my food spending.

So yep. Good friends will probably be getting something. I'll probably also be getting myself something, reward myself a bit for being so cool all semester.

And here's the coolest, happiest song of all time:


1 comment:

  1. hahaha
    i have no money to spend on gifts. no gifts this year.
    i don't know where you get your money
    scrooging all round

    ReplyDelete