Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

human resources

When I was in the thick of animating, I was trying to join some official game modding groups, through Moddb.com, and there were a few things I realized. I was a decent budding animator. I was learning things fast. I was willing to sit in front of a computer all day making some character jump up and down or make a pair of hands reload some gun. For free.

There is a lot of talent out there, I realized - a thought that was reinforced as I visited other's profiles. They had similar wishes: to be a part of a group and make something. For free. If I wanted to make a game,  I wouldn't be able to do it myself, but there would be a heck of a lot of people who were willing to put in the serious effort to get one off the ground. Aspiring animators, texture artists who have been using Photoshop since they were 5, computer science students eager to learn and make their own code for something, sound artists playing around with FL Studio trying to make their own electronic productions...

I'll admit that when I was in high school I had a terrible thought of making a game "company" that took advantage of all these "free resources" - having wannabe developers sign a discrete contract that allows me to use their assets for profit-purposes, have them eagerly create their products, put them together and sell the game for a dirty profit with minimal development effort on my part. After all, why not? Many of these people wanted to be a part of something and feel respected and appreciated, and this would provide that. Resources are meant to be used, and there was a bunch of it waiting to be taken advantage of.

*shudder
dark thoughts o.o

No comments:

Post a Comment