Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

walking mechs


Here' a video I made to show my partner my progress on my locomotion system. Since it's on Youtube, I might as well post it here.

A brief explanation of the system I am using: Mecanim behaves as a state machine (I wish somebody told me this earlier), jumping from from animation (looping or not) to another depending on certain parameters. In my system, I use 2 parameters: a float for keeping track of the direction and the walking/running state of the character, and a boolean to keep track of the jumping state. The jumping state overrides everything else (obviously), which is the reason why where are so many crazy transition lines in the state machine. The character has to be able to jump whether it's walking, running, or idle. Take into consideration that there are 2 different poses for the jumping, and it adds a lot more complexity to the states.

What I am working on implementing:

- When idle, the body should turn without the legs turning along with it. I'll probably implement this by storing the rotation in a temporary variable when the character is idle, and carrying out the rotation once it is out of that state.

- Sideways dodging. Pretty straightforward, should be easy to implement.

- Inverse kinematics for advanced animation functions such as foot - slope recognition. I do not know if such a thing is possible with a non-humanoid bone structure. If it is not possible, I will try to develop my own system with raycasts and such so that the mech can run up slopes with proper ground detection per foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment