Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

fixin shit

I am scrounging the house for things to sell through Craigslist and make some extra buck. I have built a nice list of relatively high-value items to sell, and I will update once I'm rolling in money (lol).

One of the items on the list is 32 inch flatscreen LCD HDTV, which has been replaced in our house for a fancy schmancy Samsung 42 or so incher. The reason it was replaced was because the power kept cutting off after several minutes of use.

Today, I looked into this issue to diagnose exactly what the problem was and see if it's fixable so that I may (or may not) sell it.

What happens exactly when the screen goes off after the couple of minutes of use?
I originally thought that it was the backlight, but just the fact that the TV turns on most of the time crosses that off the list. Inverter? This also seemed likely, but the audio also cuts off, leaving the final verdict to be the power supply board on this thing. I took out about a billion screws to take a look at the innards.



And the issue was quite glaring. Thanks to YouTube TV repair videos that explained the kinds of issues that could form on these boards, I was easily able to spot the busted/busting capacitors. In this image, you can make out the bulging upper caps of 3 capacitors.


Bam. This thing was fixable, and I wouldn't need to sell it as merely spare parts or junk. So far I just made a simple schematic of where all the parts belong, detached the power board, and located the capacitor pins to solder off. Tomorrow, my brother will look for 2200 microfarad capacitors from his school's electronics class that I can hopefully use as replacements here. Can't wait to get this baby in full working condition again.

No comments:

Post a Comment